Sunday Savings #1

I've been planning to do a series of posts on here about my thrift shop finds since it's something Daniel and I do every Sunday, but I hadn't been able to decide on a name. I finally came up with some ideas and asked Daniel for his opinion, and he liked "Sunday Savings", and suggested that I look up the regular retail price of the things I buy to compare what I got them for - so that's exactly what I'm going to do!

First up is five SpongeBob DVDs that I got for $1 each at Cash Converters. I don't usually buy DVDs since I have Netflix, and I honestly don't watch a lot of TV anyway, but I love SpongeBob and had to have them. I am still a child at heart, and SpongeBob is full of nostalgia and innocent jokes that makes it perfect for days that I'm stressed and need a lighthearted distraction.

I looked up the same titles on the JB Hi-Fi website and found four of them for $9.98 each, so I'm going to assume that the last one would be the same price as it has the same amount of episodes.

Total spent: $5
Total saved: $44.90


Next up is two books from Savers, since that's the first section I go to whenever I'm there. I usually spend a very. long. time. in the book section, looking at the spine of every single book in the fiction, non-fiction, biography, art, and collectibles sections, but we'd already had a very big day, and still had to go food shopping, so I merely skimmed today - but I still managed to find a book I have been DYING to read.

Amy Poehler is a fantastic human being and a hilarious actress/comedian, and I've heard amazing things about her book "Yes Please", so when I saw it for $3.99, instead of $32.99 from Dymocks, I actually gasped out loud.

The second book I bought is called "Chinese Cinderella", which I hadn't heard of before, but I instantly knew it was about a rough upbringing as it was in the biography section, plus the use of the word "Cinderella" - and a quick glance at the blurb proved me right. As much as I get affected by sad stories quite easily, I'm still always intrigued by them, so I decided to pick it up. From Dymocks it is $19.95, but I got it for $2.99.

Total spent: $6.98
Total saved: $45.96

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I couldn't find the last three items online as two were tops and one was a bag, and, presumably, they are not sold in stores anymore. One of them was a white blouse/top from Ally Fashion and, while I couldn't find an exact match in their store, I found a similar styled top for $19.99. Considering I only spent $4.99, I was very happy.

The second top was from the brand "Now", which is from Kmart. Kmart does not have a very big online catalogue - in fact, it's TINY - but judging by what I know about Kmart prices, and the fact that is is just a simple striped top, I'd guess it would have been priced at $10-$15. I got mine for $3.99. (Did I mention I LOVE thrift shopping? Because I really do.)

The last item is an adorable pink bag with a bow on it, which does not have a tag or brand or even one word written on it ANYWHERE. There's not even an indication of a tag having previously been there and then cut off (which leads me to believe that it was a quite cheap bag), but regardless, I got it for $5.99, and I'm pretty in love with it, so I don't mind either way!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There will inevitably be weeks where I don't find anything when I go thrift shopping, or perhaps I'll only find one or two things. When that happens, I'll include past thrift shop finds that I think are worth sharing as, I have said before, at least 90% of my belongings were thrifted, and I've found some truly gorgeous stuff that no one ever realises is secondhand.

Feel free to share some great thrift shop finds of yours in the comments below.

Until next time,
Indya xx

Popular Posts