Small Goals for 2017



Goals really aren't something I enjoy. They make me feel pressured to do things, which makes me not enjoy those things (and then, when I don't do them, I feel like an utter failure), but I really wanted to set myself some goals for the new year, so I decided to pick a few small ones that won't be too hard.

1. Take a photo an hour for one day - and blog about it.
I've seen plenty of bloggers do this and I'm always amazed at what they can capture throughout just one day. Whilst many of them do this project on one of their typical, "every day" days, I think I'll do mine on a day that I'm doing something exciting. I just don't think a day that I spend at my desk is going to be too thrilling to document.

2. Try new DIY projects and recipes. 
I have two Pinterest boards on these topics, and still haven't actually tried anything that I've pinned! I always say I want to, but I never do. I'm hoping 2017 is the year I turn my one day I will things into today I did, if that makes sense. I want to try at least three new recipes, which shouldn't be hard at all. As for DIY, there are so many I want to do, but the donut sunglasses that I mentioned in my favourite donut DIY post are on the top of my list. The glasses are so cheap, and I have heaps of nail polish, so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do this!

3. Submit writing to at least two online lit magazines.
I've really dropped the ball on this. I used to submit my writing all the time, but I'm a lot more critical of my work than I used to be, and I never feel like anything is good enough to submit. I still have a two-year-old goal of collecting 100 rejection letters (the third paragraph of this post explains why), and I've only got 25 so far - which is not to say that I've had heaps of acceptances, because I certainly haven't. All it means is I haven't been trying. Remember: rejection is not failure, not trying is.

4. Write 50 articles for Weekend Notes + reach 100, 000 readers.
I'm pretty much guaranteed to achieve the first half of this goal, but I still wanted to set it because I think it will help keep me on track. I've only been writing for Weekend Notes for 15 months, and I've already written 144 articles (not including photos or foods), so I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to write 50 within the next 12 months - which is why I went a little further. The second half of this goal will be a little trickier, as I can't control what articles of mine will be put in the Weekend Notes newsletter, which is how most people find my articles. All I can do is try my best to write good articles that people will want to read. Reaching 100, 000 readers would be such a great achievement. Imagine being able to say that 100, 000 people have read something I've written! I'm currently at 87, 229 readers, so I'm confident that I'll be able to cross this goal off my list by December.

5. Do a writing, reading or photography challenge.
Whether it be NaPoWriMo (or even NaNoWriMo if I'm feeling extra creative), a 30 day Instagram photo challenge, or a Goodreads reading challenge, I'd like to push myself to be a bit more creative this year. I've recently acquired quite a few books that are on the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge, so I'm hoping to be able to cross them off that list this year, but I'm not expecting to have it completed.

6. Pre-plan outfits with forgotten pieces of clothing.
Outfit blog posts are one of my favourite things to read, and they've really inspired me to take more time in choosing what to wear, as my clothing does play a big part in my self esteem. Many bloggers have said that documenting their favourite outfits has helped boost their self esteem immensely, so I would really like to give it a go - although I'd probably post the photos on Instagram rather than here, but who knows.

~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~


There are some bigger things I'd like to do in 2017, such as get a tattoo and visit Brighton Beach (the one in Victoria, Australia - not New York), but I have no idea what 2017 has in store for me, so those goals may be a little harder to achieve. I'm confident with the few goals I have chosen though, and I really hope I can stick to them. What are some of your goals or resolutions for this year?

Until next time,
Indya xx

Popular Posts