I Work At A Fast Food Place - And I Love It!

There is definitely a stigma around working at a fast food place, and, just like most stigmas, it is completely unjustified. People look down upon those who work with fast food as though we're somehow lower than them. Even though we're still out there, earning a living, working for each pay check (and under very stressful conditions, most of the time), it's just not good enough for some people.



First of all, I don't think it's anyone's business where someone works. As long as they are working instead of relying on someone else to just give them money (obviously there are exceptions with this, such as those disabilities who are unable to work, but I'm only referring to those who are able to work), and they aren't doing anything illegal, then it doesn't matter how someone makes their money. Would you rather hang out with someone who is rude and has an "important" job, or someone who is kind and works at a fast food restaurant?

Another thing that people seem to think about fast food workers is that we're all lazy, dumb, and didn't finish school, which is why we "ended up" there. Once again, I think people need to get their priorities straight, and ask themselves if being "dumb" is really such a bad thing. I would rather a friend who is nice and perhaps a little daft, than someone who is super smart and treats you badly.

Regardless, the people I work with are not dumb at all. Most of them have finished school - or are still in school - and not one of them comes across as dumb to me. I can hold conversations with them all, and they're all perfectly capable of doing their jobs. One person I work with is studying medicine whilst working two jobs, and tutoring younger kids. If anyone ever called her lazy or dumb, I think I would faint from shock. She is the furtherest person from those two things.



As for us workers being lazy, I don't even know where to start. Any job that involves customer service is difficult and stressful. Making sure that each and every customer leaves satisfied is not an easy task, and there are so many aspects that go into it. For the record, I am not complaining, I really do like my job. I like my bosses, I love my colleagues, and I get along really well with customers. I genuinely like being around people, so I am quite suited for customer service. People can call me lazy all they like because I know I'm not, but I work with some truly hard working people who don't deserve to be called that. I really do admire the people who are also juggling uni and other jobs. I only have one job and I still don't feel like there's enough hours in the day to do everything I need to.

Not to mention all the work that the managers and shift supervisors do! I think I'm a hard worker, but I am not sure I could handle the things they do. They sacrifice so much of their own time to make sure everything is running smoothly, whether that's their specific task or not. They come in on their days off to drop things off and assist in other ways, just to help those who are on that day. It's incredibly selfless and they don't get enough credit for it.

These cupcakes have nothing to do with my job, but they're just too pretty not to share!

Working at any place that involves serving food is extremely fast-paced. Lunch time comes around and everyone wants to be served and fed now. We often aren't able to stop moving for hours at a time. People think that we've got it easy, and that all we have to do is stand out the front and serve, but that is never the case. They are many different sections that all need to be monitored to make sure everything runs smoothly. If we're running low on a product, someone needs to walk away from what they're doing and fill it up, which can be nearly impossible when you've got a huge line of people waiting to order, and another line of people waiting for their food. If one thing gets changed in an order, every single person needs to be told: the server, the packer, the manager, the expediter. If there's ever an issue with communication, things can fall apart very quickly. The list of things that we have to constantly be aware of and keep in the back of our minds is endless.

I'm really not complaining, though. I'm just trying to explain that no one's job is as simple as it seems. I am good friends with my co-workers, and I don't like it when people treat us differently or try to put us down because of where we work. As long as you are a good person, that is all that should matter in life. That is what you're going to be remembered for, not where you work.

~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~

From now on, I'm not going to hesitate or brush it off when people ask me where I work. From now on, I'm going to answer them straightaway, and I'm going to tell them the truth: I work at a fast food place, and I love it. I have great hours, the best colleagues, and I'm really good at my job. You'd be lucky to get served by someone like me.

Until next time,
Indya xx

Popular Posts