Wednesday, 1 March 2017

What I'm Loving Wednesday #9

I cannot believe it's March already. February went way too fast! This last month has been quite hectic. I caught up with some family friends that I haven't seen in 6+ years, which was lovely. Daniel has also just started uni, which means we get a lot less sleep and have more expenses, but I know it will all be worth it once he graduates.

Lately I've been feeling like there's not enough time in the day to do everything I need to, so I wrote up a few different schedules for myself - one for days I finish work at 2, one for days I finish work at 4, etc - and that's been helping a bit, but I still have a low-key fear of Time Running Out. Nevertheless, this post isn't about me complaining, it's about all the things I've been loving lately, so let's get into it!


Blog post about these delicious sweets will be up this Friday!

1. Trying new recipes.

One of my goals for 2017 was to try some new recipes, and I'm so happy that I've actually been doing it. I've only made four things so far, but they've all been one week after another, so I'm hoping to keep up a new-recipe-per-week routine.

First I made buttercream frosting to practice piping roses for the first time, then I made sugar cookies for Valentine's Day, after that I made some homemade gumdrops (pictured above), and last weekend I made some banana bread! There's no way I could have done any of them without Pinterest, as it is where I discovered all four recipes. I have a secret board called "Recipes To Do in 2017" that is keeping me filled with ideas and inspiration!

~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~

2. My own personal growth.
Cooking is quite a big deal for me, as I was never taught how. I grew up being told to stay far away from stoves and ovens because I don't know how to use them and I will hurt myself, which left me at 20 years old, being unable to make myself dinner because I'm convinced I'm going to burn the house down - but I've really been pushing myself to put my fears aside, and I'm quite proud of myself.

I also left the house alone for the first time over the weekend, as I had to walk to the nearby shopping centre to get a lift off someone, which is a really big deal for me. Leaving the house empty makes me extremely anxious, and as soon as I left I was convinced that I left the door unlocked (which I didn't), but I kept going. I got myself to where I needed to go, and I didn't cry or freak out (too much), and that means more than you'll ever know.



3. Women who don't want kids - and aren't apologising for it!
I have said I don't want kids ever since I knew what children and parenting was all about. I remember being 10-years-old and telling people that I don't want kids, and never will. Fast-forward 11 years, and nothing has changed - including the attitude of the people I tell. No one has ever just accepted it, or even pretended to. They always say I'll want them when I'm older, or that I'll end up regretting not having them, and that's just not fair. There are so many reasons as to why I don't want them. There isn't even one part about having children and motherhood that I am even remotely interested in, so why on Earth would I do it?

I've discovered that a lot more women are being open about their choice not to have kids, and I absolutely love it. It makes my own feelings and opinions feel valid, and I can't help but feel empowered for them. This is something that society tells us we have to do simply because we can, and we've had enough. We're taking back the right to do what we want with our body, and dismissing anyone else's expectations - and that's a revolution within itself.







4. The Everywhereist.
I love reading about things that I know nothing about. There's nothing greater than expanding your knowledge and learning more about the world. Geraldine's posts about her brain surgery are truly eye-opening and heart-wrenching, but are still incredible to read.

Make sure to have a read of her other posts while you're at it too, as she is so much more than her brain surgery! The impressive list of awards that her blog has won definitely proves that.

~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~

Some other things I've been loving:
* Something we should all do when we can.
A piece of advice from A Life Styled Well that everyone needs to take.
I need to make this super cute DIY photo holder ASAP.
This Humans of New York post.
* An ultimate homemade donut recipe round-up that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.

Until next time,
Indya xx