Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Monday, 15 May 2017

What Being Sick for a Week Taught Me

Whilst this isn't the most attention-grabbing blog topic that I have ever written about it, it still needed to be done. This blog is my life, I write about myself and the things that I endure, so when I am swept off my feet for (nearly) a week due to a really bad cold, I am going to have to at least mention it on here.

I don't think I get sick particularly often, but when I do, it hits me pretty hard. I can't handle pain or having to take medication, so I'm usually just a mess whenever I'm sick. However, I think this time around I actually did pretty good at kicking my cold's butt. 



I got over the worst of it within four or so days, rather than suffering for weeks like usual because I refuse to do the things you're supposed to do to get better - but this time around I couldn't afford to take time off work, so I knew I needed to get better, and fast

I rearranged some of my shifts at work to give myself the most consecutive days off that I could, and worked on getting better. Whilst I laid in bed for a few days and slowly got better, I actually learnt a few things.

                                                                                                              ~

Resting is Actually Pretty Great
I am not a fan of resting, or even sleeping, at all. I constantly have 100 things on my to do list and always feel like I'm being lazy if I let myself stop and watch Netflix instead, but resting is one of the most important parts of getting over a cold, so I knew I had to do it - and I ended up loving it. 

I allowed myself to stay perched on the couch or in bed for hours at a time, I slept when I needed to, and I even let myself watch some of my favourite TV shows, since laughter is the best medicine after all! I think I got more sleep in the week that I was sick than I had in the last month, due to my horrible sleeping issues, and it was great to not feel so sleepy all the time.



I Do a Lot When I'm Not Sick
Even though I never let myself rest, I still constantly feel like I'm lazy and that I'm wasting time. I'm always telling myself that I could be doing something - anything - to better myself or help my future, so I try to always read, write, learn something, organise something, or at least clean something, yet I still feel like I don't do enough. That was, until I actually had to stop doing everything, and my house turned into chaos

It was crazy how cluttered and messy it became so quickly. Clearly all the little things I do each day really do add up, because the house does not usually look like that (don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect: my kitchen is often pretty bad because I loathe dishes - but everything else is usually organised!). I'm not looking forward to having to re-organise and tidy each room now that I'm better, but it's nice to realise that I do a pretty good job at keeping this house neat when I'm not sick.

I Need To Stop Feeling Guilty
I definitely didn't master this in the four days that I was really sick, but I still learnt that I should stop feeling guilty about everything. I shouldn't feel guilty for resting, I shouldn't feel guilty for not cleaning and, most importantly, I shouldn't feel guilty just for being sick. Nearly every day I tried to convince myself I wasn't that bad, but then I'd try to move around too much and would end up feeling sick or really faint and would be reminded that, yes, I'm actually sick, and there's not much I can do about it.

My partner is really supportive whenever I'm sick. As I said, I'm usually kind of a mess because on top of being sick and exhausted, I'm also just so upset that I can't do everything I usually do, but he always makes me feel better. He looked after me so well even though he had such a busy week with work and school, and he never made me feel bad for resting. In fact, he encouraged it - which, I know, is the right thing to do, it's just that I haven't always had supportive people in my life, so it's easy to forget that I do now. 



Unfortunately, my partner is now that one that's sick, but at least I get to return the favour! Hopefully we both don't keep getting it back off each other, and are 100% healthy by the time we go on our holiday. It's going to be a lot colder when we're in the snow, and I do not want our first holiday to be ruined by being sick! 

I know most of my readers have just gone into Spring so dealing with colds won't really be a problem at the moment (although hay-fever will! I wish you all the luck in the world with that!), but for anyone living in the colder parts of the world right, make sure you stay warm and keep up your Vitamin C intake to prevent getting a cold - or even worse, the flu!

Until next time,
Indya xx