Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Hot Chocolate 5/13: Chai Tea Hot Chocolate

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I'm a quite a big tea drinker. Well, I really like tea, but I do a lot of things that 'real' tea drinkers would shudder at - such as only really enjoying black tea, and adding sugar to it - but my point is that I don't drink coffee. 

I know that coffee is definitely more popular, and that a large amount of people rely on it to function throughout the day, but it just doesn't do much for me. I love the smell of it, I can't get enough, but I already have way too much caffeine from the amount of Coke I drink (I know how bad it is, please don't yell at me!) so I try to avoid coffee altogether. I know tea has caffeine too, but it only has 11mg per 100 grams, where as coffee has 40.




Anyway, after giving up on the coffee flavoured hot chocolate, I looked at my tea selection (I actually have heaps of different teas that I've never tried) and thought I might attempt to mix Chai tea with hot chocolate. Chai is my second favourite flavoured tea, but the bags that I have are quite mild, so I used two for this experiment.

I did some research to see if anyone else had tried this flavour - and, of course, they have - and discovered that most people created their own Chai mix by adding all the necessary spices to their regular hot chocolate, and I bet that tasted amazing. Having a huge range of spices is one of my kitchen goals, but since my 'collection' only consists of cinnamon so far, I just made do with my regular Chai tea bags.

I boiled water in a kettle just as I do every time I make hot chocolate, and put two Chai tea bags into a mug with a tablespoon of sugar and a heaped tablespoon of Cadbury drinking powder. I let the tea soak in the mug of water for a while before I added the milk as I feel like this makes the flavour stronger, but that might just be in my head ðŸ˜…



As usual, I was expecting there to be no taste difference at all - as it is hard to get a flavour that can hold its own in the amount of drinking powder that I add to these hot chocolates - but it tasted wonderful. It was a beautiful spice flavour that Chai is known for, with the perfect hint of chocolate to it. 

This flavour definitely gives the cinnamon one that I tried a run for its money on being my new favourite. Even though Chai has cinnamon in it, both recipes have very different tastes to them, but are equally as delicious. If you give this flavour a try, let me know what you think!

Until next time,
Indya xx
Related posts: