Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Wednesday, 13 September 2017

10 Things That Always Make My Day Better for Positive Thinking Day

Today is Positive Thinking Day! I can't talk about the power of positive thinking enough; it really has transformed my life so much. I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to bringing more happiness and positivity into your life. 

In honour of this wonderful day, I am going to share with you 10 things that always make my day better, because focusing on the good things in your life as much as possible is the key to positive thinking!

                                                                                                              ~

1. Having a cup of tea.
I'm not sure why, but I romanticise the feeling of being warm a lot. I am never more at peace than when I'm in a room with the heater going, a warm drink, and a bowl of soup. 

I forego the heater and soup when it's Summer, whereas a warm drink I can appreciate at any time. There's something so calming about sitting and quietly sipping on a hot drink. Daniel has recently started drinking tea so I have it a lot more now, and I love being able to have a cup of tea with him and just talk.


2. Seeing animals.

Daniel and I love animals so, so much. Whenever we're out and we spot a dog being walked, we always make sure the other person sees as well. We also save photos and videos of animals that we see on social media and show each other before we fall asleep. 

We also have annual passes to the Melbourne Aquarium and the Victoria Zoo so we can go see those animals whenever we like. We really do love animals; both of us can't wait until we're in our forever home and can get pets of our own!



3. Sunshine.
I've only recently realised just how much the weather affects how I feel. I thrive off sunshine; the sun being out can be the difference between a great day and a horrible day for me. I am so, so glad that Winter is now over and Spring is finally here. 

I am so looking forward to warm, sunny days; flowers blooming; and fruit not being so expensive! I've been wanting cherries for ages, so as soon as they drop in price, I'm going to stock up!


4. Receiving mail.

It's no secret that I buy a lot of things. Nearly every second post on my Instagram* is of something I have bought. Most of the things I buy are online (eBay and Etsy are my favourite online places to shop!), which means that I am constantly getting mail. 

I don't even share half of what I get online, I usually on share my pin mail, and a few home decor pieces here and there. Buying so much means I get something in the mail nearly every day, which has made me more willing to get up in the morning and go check the mailbox. It's like Christmas every day!


5. Being productive.

I love binge-watching TV shows and reading the day away as much as the next person, but I also love the feeling of being productive. Being able to cross everything off my to-do list is such a satisfying feeling; and being so organised that I even have time to dust, vacuum, and wipe down benches is even better. 

Of course, sometimes a productive day for me means sitting at the laptop all day, editing photos and writing blog posts. Productivity and growth comes in all shapes and sizes, don't forget that!




6. Eating good food.

I don't necessarily mean healthy food - although I always feel less guilty when I eat healthy - I just mean good food. The few days after going food shopping is always the best because everything is stocked up and you have so much to choose from. 

Some of my favourite things to eat at the moment are dumplings, chicken curry pasta, butter chicken (the most eaten meal in our house), sun dried tomato chicken and pasta, and anything on Cruskits. If I want something healthy, I'll often have a huge plate of random vegetables such as cucumber, cherry tomatoes, beans, celery, and pickled onions.


7. Spending time with Daniel.

This is an obvious one, but it's also easily the best one of the list. Daniel is my best friend and there's no one I would rather be with than him. Ever since he started uni we've barely been able to spend any time together, which has made me appreciate his company even more than before. I love it when he's home and we can just watch TV, make food or just sit and talk together. Five minutes in his presence can fix even the worst of days.

8. Watching something light-hearted.

I get stressed out very easily, and very badly. I can't do anything when I'm stressed out because I feel too overwhelmed and just want to cry. When this happens, I let myself wallow for a while (which usually involves lying down doing nothing), and then I watch something to cheer me up. 

If Daniel's home, he'll look up cute animal videos on YouTube without me even asking until I'm happier. Otherwise I'll watch something like Fawlty Towers (LOVE that show) or SpongeBob - just something funny and uplifting that can distract me from my thoughts. After the pick-me-up, I can usually think a lot more rationally and do whatever I was stressing about - or I leave it until another day, so it becomes Future Indya's problem. 


9. Baking.

I can't believe how much I have fallen in love with being in the kitchen. Finding a recipe online and successfully re-creating in my kitchen is such an awesome feeling. There are still so many normal, adult things that I can't do, but with each recipe I try I feel myself growing more confident in my abilities to follow instructions and conquer my fear of hot things in the kitchen (stove, oven).

It's also such an amazing creative outlet. I love making things in so many ways - writing, drawing, crafting, etc - and baking is a great way to bring an idea in your head to life. I've made one of my own recipes so far, but I have ideas for more that I'm really excited to try, I'm just waiting for certain dates to post them - you know me and my novelty holidays!




10. Knowing that I am prepared for tomorrow.

I am certainly no Queen of Organisation, but I do believe that I'm getting better. When I was at beauty school I was constantly stressing about both homework and classwork. At one point it got really bad and I had a meltdown on the way home, so Daniel took me on a spontaneous drive to the beach

I felt nearly just as bad when I couldn't come up with any more Hot Chocolate recipes, and it was the night before a post was supposed to go live. I had tried four different flavours in one day and they were all horrible - such a waste of ingredients - and I was miserable. So, I gave up on the challenge, because my mental health was more important. 


Now I try a lot harder to be more prepared. I write bulk posts so they're ready far in advance, and I have back up posts ready in case something goes wrong with the post I am planning. It's currently the 24th of August when I'm writing this, and I didn't post it until day because I had so many finished already!


                                                                                                              ~


What things always manage to improve your day? Do you have a certain routine that you always do when you're feeling down? Leave a comment below, I'm sure everyone would appreciate some tips on how to make a bad day better!


Until next time,

Indya xx