Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 8 September 2017

Favourite TV Shows for National TV Dinner Day

Ever since I can remember I have heard the advice to not watch television during dinner. Many people believe that it stunts conversation and drives a wedge between family members, and I can see where they're coming from, but I think it depends on your situation. 

I can't remember what I used to do before I was with Daniel, but since we've been together, we've always watched something while we eat. He's actually really weird about it and can't eat unless something is playing, but I don't mind. TV shows and movies are what brings out our fun side. We laugh, we debate, we quote our favourite lines - every night is like a date at the movies for us. 


This Sunday, September 10th happens to be National TV Dinner Day. This day is actually about those frozen meals that you heat up in a microwave and eat in front of the TV, but since Daniel and I always eat in front of the TV, every meal is a "TV meal". We've watched quite a few shows over the 4-and-a-bit years that we've been together, so today I am going to talk about our favourites!

How I Met Your Mother.
We are currently in the middle of our second complete watch-through (is that even a saying?) of this series, and we still love it just as much. It's hilarious, and I have an awful memory so it's basically like watching it for the first time - except this time around, Daniel can warn me when sad things are about to happen (season six and seven are killing me). I honestly don't know why so many people dislike this show, I think it's great! It's so well put-together; every key story was clearly planned right from the start, which is so interesting to see.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Whilst we are yet to watch the latest season, Daniel and I really enjoyed the first two seasons of this show. It is so strange and random, but it still works. I love how bright and, well, unbreakable Kimmy is, and every other character is so exquisitely unique it's almost rude to consider them supporting roles.

Rick & Morty.
Daniel has been watching Rick and Morty for years, but I didn't decide to start watching it until I saw some of the Pickle Rick episode and thought it looked funny. So I started it from the start, and now we wait until we're both free before we watch a new episode. 

Whilst it is both hilarious and very different to what I usually watch, I have this thing where every single TV show makes me cry so any moment where Rick shows that he does care for Morty - despite what he constantly says - really affect me.


Brooklyn Nine Nine.
If I ever name any other show except for this one as my favourite show, I am lying. I have re-watched this show more than any other show (Friends used to hold that title). Nearly every time I have finished it, I start it all over again immediately. I really love it. 

I love watching Jake and Amy's relationship progress. I love watching Charles go through some pretty big character development, then watching Rosa go through even more. I love Holt, I love Terry, I love the whole thing. It never fails to put me in a good mood. Daniel has only watched it with me once because he doesn't usually re-watch anything unless it's the Back to the Future movies (he is obsessed with them!), but he still really enjoyed it.

Arrested Development.
Like Rick & Morty, this is a show that I probably would have never watched hadn't it been for Daniel, but I sure am glad that I did. This show is straight-up weird; there's so much in it that makes me gasp and shudder, yet I still watch it. 

The incest between cousins, the adopted kid who is completely forgotten about, the inappropriate parents with a horrible marriage, the mean mother and her criminal husband, the fact that somebody's name is Maybe - this show sure has everything. However, I am yet to watch the last two seasons, so I'm not sure what they're like!

Friends.
Friends is one of my all-time favourite shows. I honestly think I could quote every single episode. I even have a Friends trivia book that I know inside and out; believe me when I say I know this show better than I know myself!

When Daniel and I first moved down to Melbourne, we didn't have Internet straight away so we watched Friends non-stop from the beginning to the end for a week. I actually think that was the last time I watched it since it takes so long to get through all 10 seasons, so I definitely think I'm due for a re-watch!


Will & Grace.
Whilst I haven't watched it since Daniel and I first watched it together, this show will always remain close to my heart. There's no denying that this show did very well for what it is at the time that it was shown. People certainly weren't as accepting towards LGBT people in 1998 as they are now, but this show did great anyway. 

I'd like to think that it helped people become more accepting honestly; I think it had a lot to do with me never thinking twice about gay people being different. I grew up watching this show, therefore I grew up thinking that what happened in it was pretty common - which it is - and I am so excited that they're bringing it back!

                                                                                                             ~

Some other shows that I recommend if you're looking for...

Comedy: Bob's Burgers, Fawlty Towers, Mrs. Brown's Boys, The Big Bang Theory.
Drama: Jane The Virgin, Death Note, House, Prison Break.
Something heart-warming and soul-searching: Master of None, Gilmore Girls.

What are some of your favourite TV shows? Anything you recommend? Keep in mind that I'm not into violence, so Game of Thrones instantly gets a no from me!

Until next time,
Indya xx
Related posts: