Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Wednesday, 6 September 2017

How To Make The Most of Self Improvement Month

September is a pretty wonderful month. Not only is it my birthday month, but it's also National Better Breakfast Month, Save Your Photos Month, Cat Month and Self Improvement Month. As much as I love breakfast foods and storing hoarding photos, I think the holiday that I am most excited about this month is Self Improvement Month.

Whilst some may look at the words "self improvement" and be reminded of all the things about themselves that need to change, I look at those words and think about all the things I am still yet to do and become. 

I love the fact that you can constantly recreate yourself and go in a new direction. That common saying "You're under no obligation to be who you were 5 seconds ago" is one of my favourites; you are not tied to your past, you are forever growing.



Anyway, since it is Self Improvement Month, I thought I would write a little post - that is half for me and half for you - about some of the things you can do to promote some self improvement within yourself this month.

                                                                                                             ~

EVALUATE YOURSELF.
Okay, so this is kind of contradicting what I said above, but I do think it's a good idea to take note of what you do and don't like about yourself and your life. I am not encouraging focusing on your flaws or putting yourself down, but merely acknowledging what you like to improve on. 


If you think you can't evaluate yourself objectively, it might be a good idea to ask someone you trust and respect what they think your strengths and weaknesses are. Sometimes we can be very unaware of ourselves and how we come across to others, which is something I have always struggled with.

SET SOME GOALS.
Goals are the most important thing when it comes to self improvement. How do you expect to change things if you have no end goal that you're striving for? Ever since I started setting myself small, monthly goals I have felt a lot more accomplished within my day-to-day life, not to mention more present and aware of my habits.

You don't have to set yourself extravagant goals. In fact, I would suggest starting small and working your way up. Sure, we all want to travel the world and be healthier, but both of those goals are very long-term and vague. Start with smaller goals that will help those bigger ones, such as implementing a holiday saving schedule or going for a walk once a week. They're both quite simple tasks, but will ultimately bring you closer to what you really want.



PRACTICE SELF LOVE.
Self love is also a crucial part of self improvement. Nothing can grow without being nurtured, and your body and mind are certainly no exceptions. Self love and care will be different for everyone, but the main objective is to keep your own best interest in mind. 


Know when to say no. Know when to take a break. Know when to push yourself, and when to congratulate yourself. Nothing good will come from you working yourself into the ground. If you're struggling on how exactly to do something nice for your body and mind, there are lots of resources online - I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to this topic (and one dedicated to personal development, too).

DO THINGS FOR OTHERS.
Thing is something I definitely need to improve on. We as humans are naturally caring and empathetic beings, and I truly believe we thrive more when we help others. It feels so good to give back and do something completely unselfish. It doesn't even have to be anything big, just making sure your friends know that you're there for them makes a huge difference. 

Make time for the important people in your life. Build others up when they try something new - whether they succeed or fail. Each time you interact with a person, try to think of a way that you could improve something in their lives or help them out some way. Heck, even if it's just a quick compliment! You never know what those words might mean to someone else, and you'll walk away feeling just as happy as if you had been the one who received the compliment. 



TRY NEW THINGS.
This is also something that I need to work on. Whilst I am always looking to do something new, I only like to do the things that I want to do. If something sounds tedious or boring I simply won't do it, and in a way that's a good thing because my time belongs to me now, but we should always try to mix things up once in a while and try something outside our comfort zones. 

Personally, I would like to try different foods and attempt to open myself up to new meals, as I am usually quite a picky eater. Another simple but effective thing you can do is read a few books that aren't usually your go-to books, but have been recommended to you by friends. Don't be afraid to dive into those bestsellers either, things are popular for a reason! You never know what ways a book or a different meal could inspire you.

                                                                                                             ~

Since I am certainly no expert on self improvement, I will also list some helpful blog posts and guides below so that you can be even more inspired to become the person you want to be! I truly hope you find something that inspires you.

♡ How to break the cycle of social comparison.
 Tips to overcome pessimism and negativity.
 12 months to a better you.
 Stop waiting for permission.
♡ Become your best self.
 How to actually follow through with your goals.
 6 things to help you be productive.
 The importance of prioritising.
 Common career mistakes to avoid.

Remember that there is always time for you to make a change, no matter how long you have been doing something. You are your own blank canvas, now go turn yourself into a work of art!

Until next time,
Indya xx
Related posts: