I have already completed a few more sewing projects since I made this one - and they're all much better, not going to lie - but I think it's important to document my growth and show you all what my very first sewing project was, so here it is. I can't wait to see where this new hobby takes me!
Materials & Tools:
♡ A4 sheet of black felt
♡ 2x A4 sheets of white felt (you'll probably only need one, but there's no harm in having back ups!)
♡ Orange felt
♡ Green felt
♡ Pillow stuffing
♡ Sewing needle and thread
♡ Fabric glue
1. Sew the two ends of your black felt together so that it becomes a cylinder shape.
2. Stand your felt cylinder upwards on top of your white felt and trace a circle that is a few millimetres wider than the cylinder. Try doing this towards the corner of your white felt sheet so that you don't waste any space. Repeat this step again at the opposite corner of your white felt.
3. Cut out your white circles. Sew one white circle onto one of the ends of your cylinder by stitching the outline of the white circle to the outline of the black felt, then do the same for the other side, but don't stitch the second circle all the way. Instead, leave a hole that is a few centimetres wide, and push the entire pillow through it so it is inside out. This is so you can't see the stitchings.
4. Fill the pillow with stuffing and stitch up the hole that you left. You'll be able to see the stitchings, but you can just make that the back of the pillow and no one will know 😉
5. Now it's time to add on the felt "innards" of the sushi. I struggled figuring out what design I could make with the felt that I had to make sure it looked like sushi. When I Googled illustrations of sushi rolls I saw a lot of orange pieces with white lines on them - which I'm assuming is meant to be salmon - so I went with that, and I added the green to represent sticks of cucumber.
Cut out your necessary pieces from your coloured felt. If you're going with the same design I did, that means you'll need an oval shape from your orange felt, two thin rectangles from your green felt, and three even thinner rectangles from your white felt. Glue the white rectangles onto your orange oval, then glue that and the two green felt pieces onto the face of your sushi roll, and you're done!
This project made me fall in love with sewing instantly, and I can't wait to see how much I improve as time goes on. I have so many ideas for cute pillows and pincushions that I can't wait to create, but if you have any requests on something you would like to see me make, leave me a comment! I'd love to try things that I've never even thought about making before. After all, how can I flourish without challenging myself?
Until next time,