Cupcake toppers are my new favourite thing to make! I have a box filled with different foam shapes and they are perfect for these kind of projects. I recently ordered some heart shaped ones, so if you have any heart-shaped cake topper ideas let me know and I'll do my best to make them!
As you'll probably be able to tell, I made mini cupcakes for this recipe, and used mini foam balls as the toppers, but you could totally use regular sized cupcakes - or even a whole cake, and have a complete set of billiard balls on top! I so should have done that 😅 Anyway, let's get onto the tutorial!
♡ Mini cupcakes, iced the same colours as billiard balls
♡ Mini foam balls
♡ Paint in the same colours as billiard balls (as I only did 1, 2 and 3, I only needed dark blue, yellow, and orange), plus white
♡ Black fineliner pen
♡ Wooden toothpicks
♡ Something to stick the toothpicks into, such as a foam board
♡ Small circle stencil (optional)
1. If you're using a stencil (which I did), paint a white circle at the middle front of each billiard ball. Since the foam ball is already white you can skip this step, but it did get rid of the lines on the ball, plus it gives you a better idea of where not to paint the colour.
2. After you paint each white circle, stick a toothpick into the bottom of your ball, then stick that into your foam board. Continue doing this with the rest of your foam balls until they each have a white circle painted on them.
3. Once your white paint has dried, paint outside those circles the colours you have chosen for your billiard balls.
Keep your foam balls toothpick-ed to the foam board while you do this to avoid having to touch the wet paint. Do any second layers that you think are necessary, then set aside to dry completely.
4. Now it's time to write the numbers in the middle of the circles. Two things to remember when doing this: first, make sure your white paint is 100% dry. Second, work quickly with the fineliner as it tends to eat away at the foam the longer you leave the tip touching the foam. I ended up going over my numbers a few times to make the lines thicker, which you may want to do as well, just remember not to hold it in the same place for too long!
5. When all your paint has dried completely, carefully pick up your foam balls and stick them into the corresponding cupcakes, and you're done! These would be my go-to snack if we had a pool table and could invite people over for games, but I also think they're just super cute as is 😋
Do any of you play pool? I've never had a huge interest in it, but ever since I saw a pink pool table online somewhere, I've been dying to get one. I'll take anything that's pink 😂
Until next time,